The Best Way To Restrict Foreground Data Usage on Android in 2020
This article is about how to restrict foreground data usage on Android.
Foreground Data Usage on Android
Foreground data is consumed when you are actively using an app. When the app is being displayed on the screen, and you are using it. This means the following app is consuming foreground data.
Let’s take an example to get in more in-depth understanding. For example, you are chatting with someone on WhatsApp or sending pictures and videos. That means you can actively use those apps through the foreground data.
When you are using a particular network on Android, and you want to work with some specific apps. So there you need to restrict those apps that you do not want to work with and disallow them to use your data.
You would be searching for such a solution. Here in this article, you will be provided with a solution that will help to reduce your worries and will work for you. So the answer is to restrict the foreground data usage on Android.
Now the question is how to restrict foreground data usage on Android? Till now, there exist multiple android versions. And all versions have different rules on how to restrict foreground data usage on Android. Let’s discuss them one by one.
|Also Read: ApkTime|
How to restrict foreground data usage on Android older version
If you use a smartphone with an older Android version, then you need to install a firewall app and know how to restrict foreground data on Android. Android itself does not provide any feature on how to restrict foreground data on Android.
There exists multiple firewall app available on Play Store for free. You can choose according to your taste. NetGuard and NoRoot Firewall are one of the best firewall apps because of its feature and user-friendly interface.
Let’s start to know how to restrict foreground data usage on Android by using the NetGuard firewall app. Read the points listed below.
- The first step is to search for the NetGuard app on the Play Store.
- Once you find, tap on it to install on your Android device.
- After the successful installation, Open the app, and you will see the following window.
- It will ask you to enable the NetGuard. By default, the NetGurad is disabled. You have to allow it by pressing the button above. Tap on this button to turn on the NetGuard.
- When you have enabled the NetGuard, it will ask you for further permission. Click Ok to go ahead.
- In the next step, NetGuard asks you a connection request with a VPN that allows it to monitor the network traffic. Press Ok to allow.
- Now it will display the list of apps you have installed on your smartphone.
- Tap on the app you want to restrict from using foreground data.
- There you will see two options. One is for a Wi-Fi connection, and the other is for a mobile data connection.
- You can tap on each of the options to restrict the following app from using the foreground data.
So now, the targeted app is disabled to use the foreground data, and it tells you how to restrict foreground data usage on Android.
|Read more: apktime on bluestacks|
Another firewall app that allows restricting foreground data is the NoRoot Firewall. Let’s discuss to know more about how to restrict foreground data usage on Android by using the NoRoot firewall app.
- Search the NoRoot firewall app from the Play Store and Install it on your Android device.
- Once it is installed, tap on the app and open it.
- It will display you the following screen.
- Tap on the start to create a VPN connection that will continue working with this app.
- Now it will display a screen having multiple options at the bottom of the screen. Click on the Apps that will open all of the lists of your installed apps.
- Find your required app to which you wish to restrict from using foreground data.
- You can see below, and you can restrict the app from using the Wi-Fi network or your private mobile network.
- If you want to keep the record and check when you have given the access or deny the access for the following app from using foreground data, you can check the records from the Log button at the bottom of the screen.
So here you go with the NoRoot firewall app. This app will guide you on how to restrict foreground data usage on Android.
|Read more: NoRoot Firewall Apps for Android|
As mentioned above, there are multiple apps available on the Play Store that can work as firewall apps to restrict the foreground data.
Here are some apps that help you on how to restrict foreground data on Android. These apps are listed below. You can choose according to your demand and requirement.
|Read more: Banned Android Apps.|
How to restrict foreground data usage on Android newer version
If you have a smartphone with a newer Android version, that is Android 9 Pie or Android 10. You do not need to install a firewall app from the Play Store because the more recent version of Android has the feature to restrict apps to use the foreground data.
So let’s see how these features of Android helps you out on how to restrict foreground data usage on Android. This involves the following steps, and these steps are easy to work with as you do not need to install any app.
- The first step to do is to open the settings of your Android device.
- Now In the settings menu, find the Mobile network that will be right under the Bluetooth option.
- When you find, then click on the Mobile network to open it.
- Now a screen will display you multiple options. You need to open the Data usage option, as shown in the image below.
- You can see the graph of data usage. Below this graph, you will see multiple options. From those options, choose Network access.
- After this, it will display you two options. One is installed apps, and the other is system apps.
- From these options, open the installed apps, and you can see the list of all the apps installed on your device.
- Select the app you wish to restrict foreground data.
- There will be two options, restrict from mobile data or restrict from Wi-Fi.
- You can choose the setting according to your requirement. If you want to restrict the app from being used by the mobile data, turn off the mobile data option.
- But if you wish to restrict the app from the Wi-Fi, then turn off the Wi-Fi option.
|Read more: Free Online photo editors.|
In this way, you can quickly work for an app to restrict internet usage, and you do not want to allow an app to use your data. You can easily do the work with the rest of the apps without disconnecting the Wi-Fi or your mobile data.
With the newer versions of Android, you have a plus point that allows it to easily restrict the foreground data on your smartphone without the need to install a firewall app. The oldest versions of Android only allow restricting the foreground data with the help of a firewall app.
What does background usage mean?
Background usage refers to the data consumed by the apps running in the background on your Android device or when you are not actively using the apps.
For example, if you have a WhatsApp on your phone and you are not actively using it. But WhatsApp has to receive and show messages from your contacts. There background usage of data will take place. It allows the WhatsApp to run in the background and receive notifications.
What does restrict networks mean on Android?
To restrict networks on Android means to prevent your apps, running in the background from using them. If you have set an auto-update for your apps and your hotspots data will accidentally run out due to auto-update. So to avoid this mishap, you teach your device to restrict networks for the apps.
How to reduce data usage on Android
There are many ways to reduce data usage on Android. Let’s discuss each of them.
- The first way is to keep an eye on your installed apps.
- Go to the settings
- Tap on mobile networks
- Then choose data usage
- Here you will see an option of Mobile data usage to see which app is using an excessive amount of data.
- Tap on Mobile data usage, and here you can see all the installed apps.
- Click on each app to know which is using too much data.
- Turn off the background data for the app so it will only consume data when you actively use it. But if you do not use that app, it is better to uninstall it.
- Try to turn off the mobile data when you are not using it.
- Download the large files only through the Wi-Fi network.
- Turn off the auto-update for the apps and try to update them over the Wi-Fi.
- Try to use alternative apps for hungry apps like Facebook when you are using mobile data. The highly alternative app for Facebook is Facebook lite.
|Read more: Watch Free Movie Apps For Android.|
How to stop an app from using Wi-Fi on Android
You can simply turn off the Wi-Fi for a specific app by the following rules that are mentioned above in the section on how to restrict the foreground on Android.