In this article, we will discuss on How does kwikset smartkey work? A real smart lock is an integral part of a truly connected and modern home. With the advent of the Internet of Things (IoT) and other remote accessing technologies, smart locks are becoming more familiar with homeowners. Based on different approaches, there are many smart locks available in the open market. Smartkey locks are the most common and popular ones. Kwikset SmartKey locks are the most effective and accessible smart lock based on SmartKey design. Now a million-dollar question is: How does Kwikset SmartKey work?
Lock picking and key-bumping are the most common tricks culprits use to break-in. In protecting your home against these break-ins, Kwikset SmartKey security should be your first defense line. Smartkey technology allows you to re-key your locks quickly and with much flexibility.
On the other hand, intruders find it near impossible to pick or bump the Kwikset Smartkey lock. You can also quickly generate a new key in few seconds without calling the locksmith. It is helpful when you want to allow a few privileged people or to arrange keys for new tenants without replacing the lock. We are going to explain: how does Kwikset smartkey technology work in the following sections.
|Kwikset 99130-002 SmartCode 913 Non-Connected Keyless Entry Electronic Keypad Deadbolt Door Lock Featuring SmartKey Security, Satin Nickel||Click Here|
|Kwikset 99380-002 Halo Wi-Fi Smart Lock Keyless Entry Electronic Keypad Deadbolt Featuring SmartKey Security, Venetian Bronze||Click Here|
How does kwikset smartkey work?
Principle of operation:
Since it was first launched in 2008, there is no other lock to do better than Kwikset. Re-keying works by setting five wafers that you can further position in 6 directions. By doing simple math it gives a total of 7776 different keys combination (6^5). This system modifies the lock’s internal structure and makes it more resistant toward breaches in the future.
The feature is useful in many ways. If you want to curb the number of people entering your house, you can create a new key. This feature helps the landlord to save money on replacing the locks every time somebody leaves home permanently. In Kwikset smart lock system, the key doesn’t interact directly with wafers but with a series of guide pins. In case of any attempts to temper the lock, it automatically seals the nails and blocks it from opening.
Also Read: Best Thermostats for Heat pumps with Auxiliary Heat in 2020
What makes Kwikset smartkey lock better?
• ANSI grading: The ANSI is grade 1 is a universally certified deadbolt for maximum security. This smartkey lock is equipped with these standard bolts.
• Optimal drill resistance: There are two steel balls in front of the key face. The ball block the way of any possible drilling. Key-picking is a common problem nowadays. With this setup, you can prevent it from happing and secure your property more than ever.
• Bump-Guard protection: The unique design of Kwikset smart lock makes it nearly impossible to bump this lock. A side–locking bar replaces a traditional pin and tumble structure, ensuring security against key-bumping attempts.
• Extra pick-resistance: These locks have passed the most stringent lock-picking test standard, UL 437, par.11.6. Such testing techniques are the highest in the industry.
How to re-key the Kwikset Lock:
Re-keying technology is the hallmark of the Kwikset smart lock system. The following are the steps to follow when you want to create a new key with the old one.
1. Insert the regular key in the lock.
2. Rotate the key through 90 degrees in the clockwise direction until it is horizontal.
3. Now insert the smartkey “learn tool “in the small hole above the key chamber.
4. Remove the original key, & turn the key in the counter-clockwise direction up to 90 degrees.
5. Your new key is now ready.
6. Try your new key and make sure it is okay and working.
Also Read: How to Disable Google Smart Lock Quickly in 2020
Few Troubleshooting tips:
Although the process of re-keying is straightforward, few glitches might arise. There is some useful tip to troubleshoot some of these problems.
1. Insert both keys properly without leaving the section of it outside.
2. Only turn the real key ¼ of whole rotation.
3. Make sure to keep “learn tool’ to yourself, so that no one will copy it.
4. In case you lost both your original key and smart ‘learn tool,’ intruders can’t still break-in.
Modern smart locks have come a long way. Through the internet, you can now control your door from anywhere in the world. But with excellent quality comes higher prices, and that’s why new smart lock costs more than traditional locks. Kwikset smartkey locks are a top-rated item in the consumer market. They sell millions of lock each year. Although the product line of Kwikset Company is vast, we are going to pick a few of the most popular products. We will look into the details of how these products are best for your home security.
Kwikset 99380-002 Halo Wi-Fi Smart Lock
Kwikset Halo Wi-Fi smart lock is among the latest lock by Kwikset Company. Rather than connected via Bluetooth or dongle, this lock will connect the Wi-Fi. The design is simple, with space for touchpad and key on a different section. This single-cylinder deadbolt lock is easy to adjust it in the done. You can disassemble and reinstall it on the new door.
Kwikset Halo smart lock is easy to install. All you need is a screwdriver and two AA batteries to power the lock. There is an app available both for iOS and Android. The app is simply designed, where you can check the status. The app has a two-factor authentication security mechanism. You can assign codes to different users and get notifications about your lock.
Halo smart lock has an edge concerning other locks. It has intelligent key technology as well. So if you want to use a traditional key, you can create a new key in seconds. You can assign 250 different codes for your special ones. If you’re going to add another layer of security to your home, Kwikset Halo Wi-Fi smart lock is the best option.
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- BHMA Certified- This smart lock is BHMA Grade AAA certified
- Keyless Entry Electronic Keypad
- Deadbolt Featuring SmartKey Security
- Receive Notifications- Receive notifications of your locks activity and view the lock event history from your smartphone using the Kwikset app.
- Wi-Fi connectivity is available.
- Easy to manage codes.
- Additional smartkey option.
- Best for rent based properties.
- 250 unique codes.
- The touch screen sometimes responds slowly.
Also Read: How To Record Instagram Stories On Android in 2020
Kwikset 99130-002 SmartCode Deadbolt Door Lock
Kwikset 99130-002 is another deadbolt lock from the same company with a motorized function with a sleek design. The backlit keypad of 10 digits has a voice activation feature. Equipped with all lasted technology standards, it has a keyless entry touchpad. The lock is compatible with any door setup. With 30-seconds auto-locking option, you customize your codes with additional 16 numbers. The lock is UL certified and has a 20-minutes fire rating along with other added advantages.
Moreover, it has smartkey technology, which lets you re-create a new key in seconds. Four AA batteries will operate the lock without any additional power source. Overall all this lock will last longer than usual to its durable design.
- Key less entry touch pad with a motorized deadbolt.
- 10 digit back lit audible keypad.
- One touch locking, 30 second auto lock option.
- BHMA Grade 2 certified, UL certified with 20 minute fire rating.
- Installs in minutes with just a screwdriver no new screw holes or hard wiring needed.
- Easy to install and use.
- Has a SmartKey feature.
- 3-second auto-lock option.
- much economical than other locks.
- No batteries in the package.
- Has a traditional look.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Kwikset smartkey safe?
Kwikset Company has come a long way, and it is innovating its product each year. Since its foundation in 2008, SmartKey tech is considered safe. But the modern version or even more safe and secure. The interior design of the lock makes it more difficult for intruders to pick it. It will also resist any bumping attempts.
Is Kwikset smartkey bump-proof?
Kwikset uses serrated disc tumblers and unique straight sliders instead of old pins and other setups. These locks are bump-proof because, previously, the intruder will break-in with in-depth knowledge of the locks. Without those pins, it is not possible to bump the lock. So when Kwikset says its locks are bump-proof, they aren’t exaggerating.
Can Kwikset smartkey locks be picked?
Weber, the fierce competitor of Kwikset in smart lock business, admits that Kwikset’s smart locks are nearly impossible to pick. Over the years, many locksmiths have tested these lock for picking, but they never did. Only a few other bolts can pass such a rough test.
Since we have concluded that Kwikset is the leading brand in the smart locks industry, its smart locks have been tried and tested by many reviewers. Now the critical question is: which lock we should buy from the full range of products from Kwikset.
Kwikset Halo Wi-Fi smart lock is the lasted of its kind. It has all the advanced features any other smart locks can have. If you want to take your home’s security to the next level, you should go for Halo smart lock. The price may be higher, but it is worth every penny. You will be able to control it from your smartphone with an easy-to-use app. This lock is accessible from anywhere in the world through your smartphone.
On the other hand, if you want to go for a more traditional option, Kwikset 99130-002 SmartCode Deadbolt Door Lock is a good option. You will get the maximum security from this lock as well. But the point is that this lock is light on the pocket. You are going to save a few extra bucks.